12 min read
Google ads can be one of the most cost-effective channels for businesses to drive leads and sales. If your Google ads are not fetching you desired results, the chances are you are not doing it the right way. Working as a digital marketing agency in Pune & Mumbai, IKF understands the value of every penny invested in your ad campaigns. Spending too much on underperforming campaigns is no less than a nightmare for digital marketers too.
If you want to have an effective ad campaign in place that helps you generate ready-to-buy leads , then make sure you don't commit the following mistakes:
The 6 Google ad campaign mistakes that you must avoid
1) Mismatched keywords: Irrelevant keywords or keywords with low search volume are not good for your quality score(Google assigns a Quality Score ranging from 0 to 10. You should always aim to get a 7 or better.). If you are failing to reach the desired mark, it's time to revise your keyword usage and choices.
Solution Tip: Limit your keywords usage per ad group. Too many keywords could imply keywords and ad copies are not related. Put a pause button on keywords that are not converting. Do your keyword research once again and add fresh new keywords with high search volumes. Lastly, use keyword matches appropriately. For creating impressions a broad match is most suitable and for driving conversions, use phrases and exact matches.
2) Lack of negative keywords: Let’s face it Google is not perfect. Even if you try to use the best relevant keywords, there are chances that your ads appear for searches that are irrelevant.For instance, the ad of a company promoting marketing software may show up for a wide range of keywords like free marketing software or marketing software for free. Now this may not be relevant to the searcher looking for free marketing software. To avoid irrelevant search queries from triggering your ads and ensuring right traffic to your site, negative keywords must be used judiciously.
Solution Tip: Look for broad, phrase or exact match negative keywords to your ad group or campaign. For instance, if you could add ‘free’ as a negative keyword to your marketing software then Google will prevent your ad from showing up in any queries containing that keyword. This way you’ll save money and improve your overall campaign.
3) Not using extensions: Your ad copy is incomplete without the usage of proper ad extensions.These help customers navigate your site easily and take quick action. This is not all, it also makes your ad more catchy and attracts more clicks. With Google having reported a 10-15% increase in CTR on an average as a result of ad extensions, it is certainly a must-have component of your ad messaging.
Solution Tip: Familiarize yourself with the different types of ad extension options and add them to suit your business requirements. When in doubt, callout extensions are almost always the best bet. This suggestion is something that even the top digital marketing services in India vouch for.
4) Lack of optimized targeting: Right targeting can turn out to be very useful in directing your ads to the audience that are most likely to convert. This also entails saving your bucks on clicks that won’t convert.
Solution Tip: Select targeting strategies based on your business goals. You can narrow down your audience by using location, audience and device targeting .For instance, if you want to cater to the local customers in your region go for location targeting. This will ensure you do not pay for clicks from other places that you cannot reach. Furthermore, it may be simpler to reach customers via mobile rather than desktop targeting if your customers are always on the move.
5) Directing to the home page: Directing users to your website’s homepage, instead of the specific web page is one of the mistakes that e-commerce businesses often make. Even though the relevant web page can be navigated to from the home page, directing users to the home page can hurt your quality score and hence is a complete NO-No.
Solution Tip: If you have an ecommerce store selling apparels, and your ad is for ‘women’s apparel,’ your ads should be directed to the page on women’s clothes rather than the homepage of your website. Don't forget to link your ads to a page that is directly relevant.
6) Not split testing your ad: When you draft your ad copy you cannot be 100% sure as to what will work best. You can have a hunch or a hypothesis, but just working upon estimates will land you nowhere. As a trusted PPC company in Mumbai & Pune, we recommend you to test your ads regularly and be sure you aren’t letting conversions slip through the existing gaps.
Solution Tip: Fortunately, Google allows you to split tests with more than one ad at the same time. So for every ad group, you can have two competing ad texts running parallely simultaneously. Ideally, the ad that gets 25 to 40 clicks during a certain time period can be considered good enough for most of the time. It also enables you to quickly test more variations.
Once you’ve established which ad performs better, create a new one to compete with the winner and let the process continue.
Concluding Thoughts: Running successful Google ad campaigns is no run-of-the-mill task. Many feel that splurging more can equate to better results. However, this is not true. It's only with adequate practice and exposure that you can set yourself to mastering the powerful campaign marketing tool.
If all this appears to be too daunting to you, consider taking help from professional experts who can do all the hard work for you.
For this you don't really need to go far. Connect with IKF - the leading PPC company in Pune. The experts here will guide you through the rough terrains of Google ad campaigns and fetch you optimum results.