6 min read
Personal branding is a conscious effort towards building your own personal portfolio. You don’t need to be a celebrity, business tycoon to create your portfolio. Every person has a niche for having their personal, social, financial, economical set of connect with whom they interact from time in and out. However, we are living in a world of digital transformation and everything which was being done conventional has been challenged and if it has not been changed is presumed to be outdated and perished. That’s where personal branding comes into the picture.
But what does the term ‘Personal Branding’ mean?
“Personal branding is your perception of what people think about you when you are not around”
As a marketer I come across and meet managers, CEOs, entrepreneurs from all different industries. Lots of people have different perceptions where they say that it’s not about the platform; it’s about the conversations they wish to do. Platform changes from person to perception but everything else will remain the same. If people matters to you, then the digital era gives you a communication platform to connect with people who matters to you. Your reviews, referrals, recommendations, skill endorsements can all be achieved through online platform.
Today’s audiences are highly connected through web, social and mobile. They hear, engage, and interact with you either passively or actively. You do not need to inform anyone any happenings if you are connected through digital platforms. Being on digital platform is like creating your social footprint. The kind of footprints you lay is the kind of person they perceive.
Let’s simplify this
- Digital platforms give you a free access and connect you with the audience you wish to connect
- Your personal brand is all about knowledge, trust, perception and relations.
- What you talk / think / express build your reputation. Having a presence on digital platform help you amplify your voice and communication.
- Social media gives you immediate response and reactions to your actions, thoughts, achievements
- Personal branding always allows individuals to differentiate themselves by leveraging their view points over social, political and economical changes
- This is a platform enables you to humanise your feeling effectively and express your views freely
| Medium to Promote Your
| Having a Presence on
| Humanise Your Feeling
Let’s now try to understand how you can create your strong digital footprint:-
- WWW / Blog –Build your own identity by creating website or a blog where you can express your individual thought process efficiently. Today’s websites are more advanced and integrated and which are capable to create your different social websites and updates from your profile. This is your digital business card.
- Facebook –This is the most common platform for masses and usually you connect with people who are usually from family, school, college mates and few social connects.
- LinkedIn – This is a digital professional club designed specifically for the professional community. Mostly used to grow professional networks through business connections, prospects, employees, customer, your future employees, etc.
- YouTube – It’s global free video hosting website. You have the power to own your own media house. It’s a platform to promote your thought leadership with voice, actions and expressions. Upload and share your cherishing moments and check it out if you are a public figure by number of views of your video(s) on real time basis.
- Twitter – Highly intellectual and real time conversing platform. It gives you an opportunity to connect and talk with any person/personality without restrictions. You can always appreciate each other’s concern or view points by using appropriate hash tags/mentions. Brands has been made and disrupted via this highly aggravated and agile platform.
- Instagram – This is the most famous and social channel. For example, if you are a celebrity, an upcoming artist, model or an upcoming fashion brand then your presence is highly appreciated.
How should you go on these platforms?
Firstly, decide your goal. Ideally you should have a right goal and if you have not thought about it then it is a high time that you should think over it and make an objective. Once the goal is set select channels like Facebook, LinkedIn, Youtube, Instagram, and Twitter. These channels are like dishes which require different spices or masalas in different proportions, curate concern and capture moments accordingly.
For connecting over these platforms, you will need to build your networks so that people can see you and you can see as to what is happening in their personal and professional life. Don’t keep on posting on every personal post. You need to understand who would appreciate and who would be annoyed. Keep interacting with most trending discussions. Your content to the world will be your reputation.
If you are shying away from the social presence you are bound to face the following:
- You are not known. You are not updated. In short, people are not well updated about you and your thoughts
- No information exchange, your thoughts or views on different social, political aspects remains dormant
- Your network strength does not get built up
- Who should think of putting down the foot on social branding?CEOs
But why does it matter?
- If you want to be updated over your social and economical network
- If you want to be seen and heard.
- To highlight your presence on new age CRM and network relations management.
| Send Invite Message to New
| Pleasantry Messages to New
| Wish People on Their Cherishable
Below are normal ways to converse with your connections
1.Custom invite message to new connections.
2.Thank you or pleasantry messages to new connection.
3.People have some cherishing moments and they would like you to wish them on –
- Work anniversaries
- Job change
- Position change in same organisation
- Quotes / mentions
While you do this, you will be visible to your connections. If people value you they will acknowledge you thus, be choosy where you should be commenting, liking or sharing. Else just give it a casual or passive visit to the post.
Last but not the least,
Remember – Personal branding isn’t about self promotion .. It’s about You and Your aspirations.
Need to discuss this in person? Get in touch.
Entrepreneur, Chairman & Chief Business Strategist
I Knowledge Factory Pvt. Ltd